FABcast



Monday, January 18, 2016

Starting Point (part 2) - SIN


Sin is a difficult thing to talk about; its even harder to admit.  But before a person is set free to talk about sin there must be a confession - one must admit that he or she is a sinner.  If that has not occurred, everything in that persons life will be a tantamount to a "mistake" - and we all know that a mistake is ultimately not our fault - because we "didn't know any better."

Ponder this question: DOES THE BIBLE TEACH THAT WE HAVE TO SIN?

Fast forward to the answer: NO.  We don't have to sin; it is always a choice.

So the point is, if every sin we commit is a result of our decisions, then the real question is: when are we going to stop choosing to sin?  Now, the bigger picture here is that we CANNOT stop sinning without God's help.  Left to our own devices, and on our own strength, we are hopeless.

Every single person in the world can relate to being hopeless in overcoming struggles.  I don't care if you're mother Theresa or the toddler of a mother; you're just like me, the Apostle Paul, and all the guys in my small group - you consistently do what you don't want to do, and what you don't want to do, you keep doing.

The difference between the Believer and the non-Believer may be a peace that surpasses all understanding in the midst of that mental chaos.  I know my soul is all jacked up and that I continue to have evil thoughts and lies in my mind because I know my enemy is at work around the clock to put those thoughts in my mind.  The non-Believer has a "super evil thought" and it just freaks them out.  And then they think something to the effect of: "Where the heck did that thought come from?"  Or "Why am I so angry?  Who is to blame."

For that non-believer, anger, rage and all evil thoughts are never the byproduct of a broken soul choosing to think or do bad things; but rather, it's always somebody else's fault!  Who's fault is it that i'm angry!?  Who's fault is it that I cussed out my kids?  Who's fault is it that..... and the blaming goes on and on and on and on.

-------------Notes from this week's lesson----------------

​Bottom lines: 
*Jesus raised the behavioral standard so high that no one could make a passing grade.
*God is on an endless pursuit to restore his relationship with simmers.
*Jesus never minimized the seriousness of sin, but he did not condemn sinners.

Section one 
Where have you experienced or observed the inadequacy of labeling something a mistake?
 I spanked my child too hard and caused unnecessary pain. I called it an "accident" and a good friend interrupted me, "how about we just own this one?" So, I started owning it there and experienced healing and restoration.

What do you associate with the word sin?
 Thoughts that have manifested into visible actions.

How do you respond to the consequences of having done something wrong?
 I wonder what is the real cause/root.

Section two 
What does the fact that Jesus was attracted to sinners say about him?
 That he is unlike me.

What does it cost a person to acknowledge he or she is a sinner?
 Cost our pride.

Do you resist the idea of being called a sinner? Why or why not?
 Yes. Because hen I have to admit I need a savior. And I like being my own savior at first.

Section three 
What, if anything, stands out to you about Jesus' interactions with the woman or criminal?
That Jesus is not getting anywhere with her, until he mentions her sin.  Theology is comfortable to talk about because its so impersonal.  Sin penetrates the soul and leads us to a realization that we need a savior.

Do you think Jesus' response to the criminal next to him was fair? Why or why not?
 Totally unfair. It was gracious. non-sensically gracious.

No comments: