FABcast



Sunday, November 1, 2020

Benevolent Detachment 2020

When I reflect on 2020, one of my biggest regrets is how much time I wasted. I had so many opportunities this year to accomplish goals and love on my family with undivided attention...but found myself sucked into the social media vortex or some other form of procrastinating. I spent hours looking for the perfect meme for this dumb post. SMH. One of the best books I read this year was, “Get your life back” by John Eldrege (@wildatheart). He talks about “benevolent detachment,” which is what I’m starting today until the end of the year. John says, 


“It means getting untangled, stepping out of the quagmire; it means peeling apart the Velcro by which this person, relationship, crisis, or global issue has attached itself to you. Or you to it. Detachment means getting some healthy distance. Social media overloads our empathy. So I use the word “benevolent” in referring to this necessary kind of detachment because we’re not talking about cynicism or resignation. Benevolent means kindness. It means something done in love. Jesus invites us into a way of living where we are genuinely comfortable turning things over to him: Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly (Matthew 11:28–30 MSG). 


Now, pay attention here—Jesus said there is a way ‘to live freely and lightly.’”


So, I’m getting off Social Media (i.e., Instagram and senseless trolling on YouTube) at least  for the rest of 2020. I’m gonna give THAT time back to my family/things that matter most. Join me if you too need to get your life back. 


Grace and peace!

RBAR


#getyourlifeback

#benevolentdetachment

#socialmediafast

#freedomfromsocialmedia

Listen to FABcast #592:https://soundcloud.com/forallbelievers/fabcast-592-benevolent-detachment-and-freedom-from-social-media

No comments: