FABcast



Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Sweetness of Freedom

Every Tuesday I meet with a few guys at Coffee Bean for Bible study, prayer and catching up on life.  And guess what, not once has someone shot at us or tried to confiscate our Bibles!  God bless America.  Seriously!
 
I often forget the luxuries of living in a free country.  But all that changes when I get updates from my friends overseas who had their doors kicked in for having a Bible Study.  When I read horror stories in other countries where certain theologies and practices are grounds for execution.  And then I read of causualties of war who were wounded in the pursuit of defending freedom and democarcy around the world.  God bless those who have paid the price for the liberties we enjoy every day.
 
Oh the sweetness of freedom.

*Back to Coffee Bean...We (our men's group) meet for the purpose of "doing life together."  This involves - but is not limited to - confession, encouragement to repentance and edification in the Word.  When I can't "figure" out root causes of surface sins in my life, I turn to the men that God has stragetically placed in my life to confront me where I need to be confronted. 

I'll never forget my friend Doug who asked me, "May I ask you a hard question?"  Yes, I replied!  go for it bro.  "How much time are you spending with your kids?"  I felt convicted he was referring to actual quality time not contaminated by the distractions of a "smart phone" or some work related event vying for my attention.  Whether or not he intended that conviction, it came.  Thank you Lord for doing your convicting job.  It worked becuase as clear as a bell, I was able to answer, "not much at all.  Because when i'm physically present, i'm mentally distracted, which is like not being there at all."

Here's a charge to all believers: Get plugged into Gospel-centered community.  We need it.
 

No comments: