FABcast



Friday, February 20, 2015

"Broken Together" by Casting Crowns


A few days ago my co-worker/Brother in Christ/co-laborer in the Gospel was listening to 95.5fm the FISH.   The song "Broken Together" by Casting Crowns came on and as he listened to the lyrics, his eyes welled up with tears and he pulled over.  "I thought of you and your wife, bro."

When I listened to this song, it captured what I believe is possibly the greatest lesson I learned in 2014; that is, the freeness that comes in accepting my brokeness.  The freedom that comes in relinquishing the notion that i'm not messed up, broken and hopeless without God.  The freedom that comes when all secrets are brought out into the light and lose the power they had for so long.  What made it even more amazing was my wife came to this realization shortly afterwards.  God had penetrated both of our hearts and the strongholds came crashing down.  We had accepted being broken together.

Our lives became characterized by openness, honesty and transparency.  But this wasn't merely vulnerability for vulnerabilities sake (because human good and morality apart from God is evil and offensive  in God's sight) - it was a spirit-led life that sought to please God the Father in all we said, thought and did.  We made it a practice to 1 John 1:9 at any sinful thought, deed or word. We employed Ephesians 5:11 and exposed all the evil in our lives.  Thoughts that used to bind us lost it's power in the act of confession.

We slowly watched the enemy (i.e. either the Devil, our Flesh or the World - we don't care which one is at work!) lose power in our lives as the Lord gained ground and became increasingly more and more free to love each of us through each other.

My prayers became, "Lord, how would you want to express your love to my wife today?  Well, I submit my mouth, hands and tone of voice to you so that you can have your way and express your love to her today."

If and when I fall short, I thank God I have men of God surrounding me who speak truth into my life.  They are constantly praying fervently for me.  They are on their knees daily.  They cry out to God on my behalf.  There is so much power in prayer coverage.  I thank God for these men because I am broken and I need them.  When my wife falls short, I thank God she is surrounded by a handful of women to know her and have the place in her life to speak truth to her.

If it's any encouragement to you - Don't give up the fight.  Be broken together.  Let the walls fall down.  Expose the lies and the secrets that you fight so hard to keep hidden.

Only God can help your broken hearts align.

No comments: