FABcast



Saturday, March 14, 2015

UFC 185 Takeaways, Rafael Dos Anjos and Jesus!

There were a handful of spiritual takeaways from tonights fight.  I really appreciated the courage of Rafael Dos Anjos and Johnny Hendricks.  Both Rafael Dos Anjos and Johnny Hendricks are outspoken Christians setting an example for us to follow.

Joe Rogan: How are you feeling right now man?
Rafael Dos Anjos: Man.  It's such an amazing blessing.  When you go into a fight, new.  You go [a winner?]. [be]cause I serve Jesus.  He's amazing God.  And I knew I[m] gonna win before this fight happened.  I knew that. He told me that.
Rogan: [Jesus avoided and topic shift to "the game plan"]
 
Whether or not Jesus told him "You're going to win tonight" is not as important to me than the fact that he rendered thanks to where thanks was due.  Amen to that.  And for the record, who's to say Jesus didn't tell him that?  Last time I checked, the Almighty  God has the ability to do that.
 
Johnny Hendricks said during his octagon interview, "I'd like to thank my Church..."  I also found this interview on the bleacherreport, which was extremely balanced in my opinion; namely, on whether or not Jesus is helping him win fights.  Amen.  Read for yourself...
 
Gregory Chase: ...How big is religion or your spirituality part of your life and your career?

Johnny Hendricks: Extremely. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t make it to every Sunday [laughs]. If I’m in town, I try to go every Sunday, you know, we got a good church group down here. It’s everything. I know that I wouldn’t be where I’m at if it wasn’t for God. I know that I could be an athlete.
 
Everybody has a talent. I believe if you pray…I’m not a fan that you’re going to win every single match, I don’t believe he’s going to go in there and help me win.
 
What I pray for every fight is to let me go out there and let me fight to the best of my abilities, and to keep us both safe. That way, we can wake up and do it again. It’s something I want to really, really keep doing, because it’s easy to sit here in this room and say, 'I got myself somewhere.' I just don’t believe that.
 
Fighting lives and dies, you can’t fight forever. So whenever I leave, I want people to come up to my family whenever I retire and say, 'Man, he was a great person.' You know what I mean? 'He did this, he did that, but not only that but he was just a great person.' That’s what I want, I want people to come up to my family and say those kind of words. Not just that he was a great fighter.
 
My last takeaway may be a bit of a stretch, but still a takeaway.  In the co-main event, Carla Esparza was beaten by Joanna Jedrzejczyk.  It was brutal to watch. As a father of two daughters, I couldn't imagine... 
 
During the 2nd round, Fatherly instinct was firing, my heart was sinking and I kept thinking to myself, I hope either Esparza's corner throws in the towel or the referee stop the fight.  In the last 5 seconds of the match, Jedrzejczyk unleashed fists of fury on a helpless Esparza.  When the referee stepped in on Esparzas behalf, I had a sense of relief!  I thought to myself, "Thank God, he saved her! He saved her life!" 
 
Imagine what God the Father endured when he watched his Son endure the torture of his final hours.  He had to look away so that the propitiation work required to atone for OUR sins could be accomplished.  How Deep the Father's Love for us that he should give his only son!  And how deep the Son's love for us that he would endure the cross all to Please the Father!
 
Blessings!
 
 




No comments: