FABcast



Friday, March 20, 2015

The Gospel (revisited again)...


For over a decade i've been putting "The Gospel" in a systematic formula.  I've since learned something new.  I won't delete my old posts as it shows God's grace extended to me in my never ending learning.
 
Here are a few things that are new to me, but perhaps not to you (so give me some grace here :)
 
1. The Gospel is only good if it is seen alongside bad news.  Apologists refute the "problem of evil" in saying that evil cannot exist if good doesn't.  I'm just seeing this concept in a gospel presentation.  I would frequently say, "The Gospel is only good news.  You shouldn't mention anything bad in it."  But, the Gospel is the good news that I realized my fallen state (and it's horrible!), Christ has redeemed me and is currently at work (every single day) to restore me to become more like Him.
 
2. The Gospel is God's story about how HE worked in us to save and sanctify us!  Yes, HE does all the work.  Imagine that the Plan of God for Salvation is a chain.  Every link must be God becuase if man has ANY part the chain will break - because a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.  Man is weak and broken. Therefore, he cannot play any role in the work of Salvation. 
 
3. When I share the Gospel, I share how God worked in my heart to save me and how he is currently changing me.  And I now avoid the formulaic systematic approach becuase THAT is not how we tell stories.  We simply speak from the heart about our story. 
 
My wife has said many times within the past few months, "yeah, but I thought you taught X."  To which I would reply, "I've learned since then."  God is changing my heart.  A lot of things are changing.  Even my close friends in my various "Grace" clubs are noticing.  But it's just God working in my soul. 
 
Back to the book... 
 
What do you think?
 
 

No comments: