FABcast



Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Journey Never Stops American Express Commercial


If you watched something on YouTube this week, you probably saw #JOURNEYNEVERSTOPS commercial @AmericanExpress.   I was working in my office and running my music playlist in the background when I heard it.  I could hear and sense a clear salvific tone.  At first, I thought it was a Christian testimonial.  It was an American Express commercial about the Journey of Life.

The commercial highlighted the failures, challenges, internal battles of four famous people:
@MindyKaling, Actor/Writer
@NatalieYoung, Owner of Eat Las Vegas
@NickWoodman, GoPro Founder
@ArethaFranklin, Queen of Soul

Here's the paraphrased gist of what each person said...
"When I failed at my first business, I moved back in with my parents.  I thought my dreams were over."
"My addiction destroyed everything. I lost my family, my partner, my business
"I was told, they don't put girls who look like me on TV."
"When I first entered the music business, I was shy."
"Prior to getting sober, i could remember
"We've all felt it.  Who am I to succeed?"
"I used to hold on to the mic for security"
"I was told, they don't put girls who look like me on TV."

The video ends with hope and inspiration:
It takes failing, I think to know how to succeed.
To the next generation of hacks, duds, failures...

Here's the takeaway:  Each person in the video was engaged in Spiritual Warfare.  Those challenges, negative thoughts and struggles were not with people or difficult situations, per se.  It was about the voice of the enemy in their life.  Whether it was their flesh, the world or the devil / demons, it was a struggle with the unseen. The negative thoughts, irrational feelings and strongholds that keep us all from hearing the voice of God.

Ephesians 6:12 says our struggle is not against flesh and blood...

No comments: