FABcast



Saturday, January 31, 2015

Who is this new Anderson Silva?


If you watch Ultimate Fighting Chapmionship (UFC), you probably didn't miss the Silva vs. Diaz showdown. It was the anticipated fight for all to see.  Anti-Diaz fans wanted Silva to kick the look off Diaz' face and Anti-Silva fans wanted Diaz to officially "retire" the Spider.  I'm always down for a good fight and display of performance under pressure.

But there was so much more to this fight than the physical fists and kicks.  There was an unseen battle going on.  I was watching a completely different fight than most people.  I was definitely watching a different fight than what everybody paid for; namely, the Spiritual fight. 

As clear as day, there was something different in Anderson Silva.  From the moment he walked through the halls to his locker room to the victory lap back, it was a different man that showed up.  He walked the hall in his suit in humility and focus.  During the fight, he was not caught up in the taunting, teasing and disrespect.  After winning, he sobbed and weeped tears of joy.  Another battle had been won, which was foreign to Diaz who told him not to cry. 

During Joe Rogan's interview concerning the taunting by Diaz, Silva's responses were full of grace and humility.  Silva averted the question and persuaded the fans that it was all part of entertainment and a part of "the great show."  He assured them that it was not an indication that he was a bad guy.  He did not take anything personal nor did he react in anger.  If he was offended, he apparently forgave sometime between the fight and the interview. 



Rogan: This is obviously a very, very emotional moment for you. 
Silva: I need say, Thank you God. Thank you for give me one more chance for staying here.  Thank you my family, my kids.  And my friends.  My real friends, thank you.  Thank you God.
Rogan: You were incredibly emotional Anderson.  How important was this victory for you?
Silva: Sorry, I go talk to Portuguese, my English is bad [speaking Portuguese]...
Interpreter: This is a very important moment for me.  A very important moment for my whole family.  A very important moment for all the Brazilians.  To thank everybody for coming out here.  I went through a lot of suffering the past year...and thank you God.
[break]
Silva: Nick is the best.  I stay here a long time. This is the first time in my life when I fight for the guy where punch is strong and the kicks is strong...Thank you Nick.  Thank you for the opportunity.
Rogan: Taunting...what was he saying to you?...
Silva: Ah, this is the great show for the people.  Nick is the great show.  I am the great show.  This is for the people here.  This is no bad man. This is Nick Diaz.  This is the show.  This is the UFC.
Rogan: ...what's next?
Silva: I go back to my family now.  And I think so... And my my kid Caliou, say Dad, no more. Please stop.  Stop Dad.  And I go back to my home.  Take my kids and.  I dunno. Maybe I'm back.  I dunno.
[break]
Silva: This is the great sport in the world...Thank you for all the people who came here to night.  Thank you.  God bless you all the people here.

Was there a different Anderson Silva who showed up tonight?  I say, absolutely.  He's different.  He came with humility, focus and clarity.  He's more family focused.  He gave glory to God.  He role modeled forgiveness and professionalism.  Transparent and even in weeping and wailing.  

Did he give his life to the Lord?  Did he "re-dedicate" his life to the Lord?  Does/did he believe in Jesus Christ as the guarantor of eternal life?  I have no idea.  All I know is a different man showed up and he gave all glory to God, demonstrated godly character in his tone of voice and actions.  He expressed love for his family and heartbreak for his son's plea to stop fighting. 

The real battle was not against flesh and blood (physical) and that fight does not stop at the 5th bell.  It is an ongoing battle and we are safe to assume that the resource he will tap into to win that fight/battle will be the God who he referenced.

No comments: