FABcast



Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Do What Pleases the Father.

From the outset of his life Jesus was about this Father's business (Luke 2:49).  Jesus made it known that he always does what pleases the Father (John 8:28).  The Father sent him for a specific purpose and Jesus remained on task despite every temptation (Luke 4:43).  Everything else was secondary such as his own personal/physical needs, popularity in ministry and earthly power for good purposes.  Whether or not people accepted or rejected him, he functioned on the premise that he is there on a mission; that is, to do what pleases the Father.  Why did Jesus go to the cross?  Was it for you and me?  Partially, maybe...  What if his primary purpose in going to the cross was to please the Father ("not my will but yours" - Matthew 26:39)?

My mission in life is to please the Father. 

If I am supposed to meet a friend at 5pm and he shows up at 5:45pm, I am not mad - I did it to please the Father.  If drive a few co-workers to the airport and they don't thank me, I am not upset - I did it to please the Father.  If I produce the best work, but am not recognized for my contributions to the company, I am not bitter - I did it to please the Father.  If I give a box of ritz crackers to a homeless man and he reaches up and smacks the box out of my hand, I have no desire to retaliate - I did it to please the Father.  If I get home after a long work day, clean my house, play with, feed, bathe, brush, put to bed my three children, walk the dogs and clean the house, but get no appreciation or respect from my wife I am not angry - I did it to please the Father.  If I come to the end of my life and have nothing, at least I would have done everything I could to do that which pleased the Father.  Jesus set the example I want to follow.

No comments: